Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Orthodoxy Test #8: Tnzius for Women

Tznius is

a) a woman's most important mitzvah

b) very important, but not the most important mitzvah
c) required, but not something to focus on
d) mostly minhag and there's a lot more legitimate leeway than people believe
e) not very important
f) Leave this question out of my results

As I understand it, tznius is an important mitzvah for both men and women, although in our society men feel less pressure than women to deviate from its dictates, and thus men's tznius is less discussed. I don't know why it wouldn't be something to focus on; as far as I know, every mitzvah ought to be the subject of our focus, although of course some people will be better suited to focusing on certain mitzvot, and others on others. On the other hand, I don't see how I could justify the assertion that tznius is the most important mitzvah for anybody. Why would it be more important that pikuach nefesh, or shmirat shabbat, or kashrut, or lashon hara? So (a) doesn't make sense to me. I chose (b).

No comments: